Updated December 31 2022
Local Communities Update
We are watching closely and adhering to Municipal and Provincial recommendations to ensure the health and safety of our staff, guests and community. Current information and FAQs can be found on the District of Tofino, District of Ucluelet and the District of Port Hardy Website as well as other municple websites where we operate.
We Ask that you Self-Assess Prior to Traveling
People with Covid symptoms are requested to cancel their booking to reduce any potential spread of illness until your symptoms have improved. We kindly ask you call us to change your reservation to a later date if possible or cancel your trip. Multi-Day trips now no longer allow for refunds or transfer of dates due to Covid. We highly encourage travelers to purchase travel insurance at the time of their booking.
Our Travel Policy
Wild Root Journeys strongly recommends all booked guests to purchase travel insurance for their trip that includes cancellations and trip interruptions as well as medical expenses and evacuations in Canada.
Most insurance policies need to be booked within so many hours or days after your trip or tour booking. For policy options check with your local travel agent or book online through your bank or regular insurance provider. Due to different policy options per country you’re traveling from as well as the ever-evolving nature of insurance policies, the information below are some options that we recommend. We also encourage guests to do their own research in addition to find the best policy to fit personal situations.
What you are looking for in your insurance is the following
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption insurance: in case unforeseen events such as unexpected illness or injury prevent you from going on your trip. Or if you are required to interrupt your trip and return home pre-maturely. This also covers canceled or delayed flights, ferries or other types of transport that prevent you from going on your tour with us.
- Medical Travel insurance: in case you need to receive medical attention and/or evacuation during your trip. Due to the nature of our kayak tours, you want to ensure it includes wilderness activities and that it not only covers the cost of medical attention but also the cost of evacuation from a remote wilderness setting.
What you want to keep in mind is that events that are considered “known or foreseeable” are not covered by most travel insurance policies. This can include a known health concern that could eventually prevent you from traveling in the future. Also, the current Coronavirus outbreak is now considered one of those “foreseeable events”.
This has prompted insurance providers to add coverage for COVID-related cancellations to their policies. The insurance companies that we have found that offer the extra COVID Coverage are SafetyWing for travelers from Canada, Heymondo for travelers from the USA, Europe, and other parts of the world, and Staysure for travelers from the UK. Likely, there are more options available through your local travel agent, so this list solely acts as a suggestion.
Another way to be insured in these uncertain times is to opt for the “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage (CFAR) as an optional upgrade to most travel insurance plans. CFAR allows you to cancel your trip, whatever your reason may be, and receive a partial refund—usually 50% or 75% of the value of your prepaid and non-refundable expenses, such as airline tickets, tour, and hotel reservations. Events that are considered “known or foreseeable” will also be covered under this upgrade. The CFAR upgrade has to be purchased within days of making the initial trip deposit (this varies by provider so make sure to know when the exact cut-off is). The trip also has to be canceled no later than 48 hours prior to departure, in order to qualify for refunds from your insurance company.
Our Booking Terms and Conditions
- Deposits are fully refundable up to 72 hours after your booking. Please notify us by email if canceling within this 72 hour period for a full refund. After 72 hours the deposit is non-refundable.
- A Day Journey refund requires notice by 5pm the day before your trip via email to email@example.com.
- Multi-Day Journeys require a $300.00 deposit per person at the time of booking. Full payment is deducted 30 days prior to the tour departure date and is then non-refundable. Credits may be issued under certain circumstances.
- Bring duplicates of important pharmaceuticals and please discuss any concerns or limitations before booking.
- Wild Root Journeys guides have the right to remove persons from any trip if they are compromising the safety of themselves or the group. All evacuation costs are incurred by the client.
- Wild Root Journeys recommends all booked guests to purchase travel insurance for their trip that includes coverage for COVID-related cancellations and trip interruptions and medical expenses and evacuations in Canada. Most insurance policies need to be purchased within a short time of booking.
Thank you for helping!